When Motion and all atoms disagree,
Thunder in skies1 and sickness in men be.
Earthquakes and winds, which make disorder great,
Are when as Motion doth all atoms2 beat.
In this confusion, a horrid noise they make,3 5
For Motion lets them not their places4 take,
Like frighted flocks that do together keep,5
Which Motion worries, as a wolf doth sheep.6
- in skies] i’ th’ Air, 1664, 1668
- Are when as Motion doth all atoms] Tis when that Motion all the Atomes 1653
- In this confusion, a horrid noise they make,] And they great Noise in this confusion make, 1664; And they great Noise in this Confusion make; 1668
- lets them not their places] will not let them their right places 1653
- that do together keep,] of Sheepe together run, 1653
- Which Motion worries, as a wolf doth sheep.] Thus Motion like a Wolfe doth worry them. 1653