Atoms by sympathy2 are fixèd so,
As past some principles they do not go.
For count the3 principles of all their works,4
You’ll find there are not many several sorts.5
For when they do dissolve and new forms6 make, 5
They still to their first principles do take.
All creatures, howsoe’er they may be named,7
Are of long, square, flat, or sharp atoms framed.8
- In 1653 this poem is called “Of the Sympathy of Atoms”
- Atoms by sympathy] By Sympathy, Atomes 1653
- For count the] Which 1664, 1668
- of all their works,] if you in every kind 1664; if you in every Kind 1668
- You’ll find there are not many several sorts.] Of all their works do count, you few will find; 1664; Of all their Works, do count, you few will find: 1668
- and new forms] new Forms to 1664; New Forms to 1668
- All creatures, howsoe’er they may be named,] As Animals, Vegetables, Minerals; 1653
- Are of long, square, flat, or sharp atoms framed.] So Aire, Fire, Earth, Water falls. 1653